Is the death a murder with poison?
Here are the six critical questions that need to be answered!
(1) What substance was found in the victim that should not be there? = “method”
- qualitative analysis
(2) Is the substance in a toxic amount? = “method”
(3) Were observed symptoms consistent with the substance and the amount? = “method”
- witness description
- autopsy findings
(4) How and when did the substance get into the victim? = “method”
- by what route?
- at what time?
(5) Who would gain from the victim’s death? = “motive”
- study the victim = “victimology”
- who had a reason?
(6) Who had access to the victim, and the toxic substance? = “opportunity”
- to the victim
- to the poison